|Position:||Operations Assistant (4 positions)|
|Duty Station:||IOM The Hague, Netherlands (various locations)|
|Classification:||General Service Staff, Grade: G5 eqv.|
|Type of Appointment:||Special Short Term (9 months – possible extension
subject to funding)
|Estimated Start Date:||First quarter of 2018|
|Closing Date:||24 December , 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
|IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.|
Context: Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and under the direct supervision of the Team leader Operations the incumbent will have the following duties and responsibilities in order to facilitate and support the voluntary return of migrants.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
In particular, he/she will undertake the following tasks:
- Identify potential returnees and provide information and counsel about IOM’s AVRR services and keep up to date on national and international developments concerning the target groups as relevant to return, AVRR and IOM;
- Assist migrants wishing to return voluntarily to their country of origin, in coordination with relevant IOM units and IOM stakeholders, and in observance of IOM’s guidelines and procedures;
- Facilitate the AVRR departure process by informing migrants on the practical aspects of the IOM-assisted departure from the Netherlands; assisting potential returnees in finding solutions for possible obstacles to their return;
- Build and maintain contacts and good working relations with target stakeholders and organizations working with migrants, particularly in the Northern provinces of the Netherlands;
- Responsible for clear and accurate implementation of IOM’s administrative procedures and working methods;
- Maintain proper and accurate migrant files, by registering relevant data concerning the progress of work, in accordance with IOM procedures;
- Submit regular reports to the Team Leader Operations on the results, developments and possible bottlenecks;
- Consult with the Organization on appropriate and agreed approaches to the above specified tasks prior to assumption of the tasks;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s (HBO) or higher degree from an accredited academic institution in Sociology, Political Sciences, Anthropology, or a related field, with a minimum 3 years of relevant experience, preferably in similar roles;
- Completed High School degree (MBO) from an accredited institution with 5 year of relevant experience; preferably in similar roles;
- Good written and verbal expression skills.
- Knowledge of MS Office and experience with database.
- Knowledge of asylum and migration issues and the parties involved.
- Working experience in administration and reporting.
- Working experience in an international setting, familiarity with the work of an international organizations.
- Analytical thinking, good organisational skills.
- Experience with/knowledge of outreach work and counselling.
- Knowledge of asylum and migration issues and the parties involved. Ability to build and maintain good relations with counterparts.
- Good command of information and presentation techniques.
- Demonstrable experience with the target groups relevant to the IOM.
- Ability to build solid understanding and implementing guidelines.
- Experience with client-tracking systems.
- Preferably holding a driving licence B.
- Willingness to work irregular and flexible hours.
Fluency in English language and Dutch language is required. Fluency in other languages are an asset.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.